Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Midnight Run

IF THERE ARE ANY MEN READING THIS BLOG - SKIP THIS ENTRY! MONTHLY PERIOD STORY TO FOLLOW!!

There, this story requires a disclaimer. I am wearing my favorite pajamas right now. I bought them at Walmart about a month ago. They are super comfy and I would like to live in them. Every time I wear them, though, I am reminded of why I bought them and I chuckle a little to myself.

I was visiting my mother, and got to see my friend, Molly, home from Japan. I got to go to Sarah's house and have fun with her friends on her "favorite things" themed ladies-night-out. I ate great food, had good wine, saw great friends - perfect, right? It was! But I had started my period a day or three before that, bleah. No problem. I had brought a few "supplies" along to handle that.

As I have aged, my period has changed in weird ways. I am not on any birth control pills, so it just comes and goes as it pleases. It starts out sloooowly, requiring nothing but a minipad that is changed maybe once per day, and this goes on for a few days. Then it acts serious and I have to use tampons. I don't wear those to bed (cuz of toxic shock and all of that), so I wear a diaper (maxi pad with wings), and I usually only need those for two nights, one of which I need the super diaper (long - nighttime pads), then after that BS I can switch to minipads for about five more days. Stupid period.

Ok, now that you all know WAAAAAY too much about my period (which the OB/GYN at my clinic says can only be helped by taking birth control, crap), back to the fantastic evening at my mother's. I got home and got ready for bed, using the regular diaper I had packed. I woke up at about 3:30 a.m. and had this very bad sensation that I should have packed the super diaper. Crap. Sure enough - leakage. Not a lot, but leakage. So, now what? I had no more products except for the minipad and tampon for the next day. That sure was not going to work. Plus, I needed new PJs. I searched frantically through my mother's bathroom cupboards... my post-menopausal mother... nothin. So, I put in the tampon. Got out the next day's skivvies and put on my jeans and headed off to Walmart. I shopped for a good 20 minutes or so, went back to my mother's house and changed into my new comfy PJs and with sufficient supplies and headed back to bed, at which time my mother got up and asked if I had gone outside or something cuz she thought she heard the door. "Yeah, I went outside and came back in. Go to bed, Mom."

So, that's how I got my new PJs. Thanks, Aunt Flo.

No comments: