Sunday, August 29, 2010

Really Good Writing

I have always enjoyed writing. My mother has stories that I wrote in grade school, and they are fun to read and much longer and more detailed than I see coming from my own children (especially my younger child who wrote a story called, "The Disappearing Ballerina" which went like this: There was a ballerina who danced and danced. Then, one day, she disappeared. The end.). This blog is a way for me to write for fun AND track my health goals.

I used to write for my high school newspaper. I also wrote for my college newspaper with such gripping news as "Hangover Cures: advice from your bartender" and I wrote the horoscopes. Seriously! I wrote the horoscopes! I completely made them up based on the lives of my friends and family who were different astrological signs, so if my sister was having a rotten week, look out all you Tauruses.

I have wanted to write a book, which I start and never finish because my ADHD is so bad. I have started writing about myself, thinking that my children might enjoy it at some point. Again, not finished. I'll get to it some day.

So, I fancy myself a bit of a writer. But, in my typical way, the minute I read something compelling or really well crafted, I want to erase this whole thing as drivel and just stop pretending to be a writer of any sort (perfectionistic, as usual: be great or forget it). I have had that experience in the past day, so I am fighting that and instead may try some new things in terms of topics, etc. I keep threatening to do this because I get bored with writing about fat and food and exercise, and writing about it all the time only feeds my obsessive tendencies. It's a difficult balance - writing to keep me on track with goals and measure progress in the tracking section, and not getting obsessive. Why is it so hard to balance this teeter-totter?

No comments: