Sunday, August 29, 2010

Greek Yogurt

Traditionally, yogurt is something I have not really enjoyed. I have often wondered if this is because I only used to eat it when on a diet and would eat the stuff sweetened with Splenda (which has that nasty aftertaste). I was taught that the texture gets better if you stir the bejesus out of it to get rid of any of that watery stuff on top and any chunky feel. In other words, yogurt has traditionally tasted funny and looks like spoiled milk - not so appealing.

My good friend, Loni, kept talking up "greek yogurt" as a delicious thing, plus higher in protein. I took her raving with some inward eye rolling. She even gave me a spoonful one day and it was not horrible, so I decided to try it. Much to my surprise the rest of the US seems to be on a Greek Yogurt kick, probably because carbs are evil and protein is good. Such is the diet fad of this generation. Anyway, I got the Dannon brand and it was disappointing. I got some sort of organic brand and it was better, especially the honey kind mixed with blueberries. Tolerable.

While in Chicago, I went to the grocery store and got some provisions for breakfasts to reduce my expenses in eating out daily. I bought cherries, blueberries, a bag of chips (oops, how'd that get in my cart?), oatmeal, granola bars, diet coke, and three cups of Greek yogurt. I got two different brands, Fage and then another I cannot remember. I liked both of them! Really good with the blueberries. I am now motivated to go home and find good brands of Greek yogurt. It's tasty. Try it. And don't roll your eyes at me.

No comments: