Thursday, July 29, 2010

Earned a Medal

Tonight I had to go to a potluck end-of-the-softball-season picnic. I had to take an entree and side dish or dessert. I went to the grocery store to pick up said items, and my softball player said, "I'm coming in with you or you'll get some healthy junk nobody will eat, like 90-calorie granola bars." I frowned and argued that I would get something she and her sister would like, so she stayed in the car. I went in and bought a box of chicken strips and two boxes of cookies. There you go, kid. Junk as requested. I also bought an apple.

I went to the potluck and put my items on the table, teeming with goulash, pizzas, garlic bread, baked beans, taco salad, various noodle salads dripping in dressing, and oh.. the desserts. A giant sheetcake pan of m&m bars, frosted cakes, cupcakes, homemade cookies, cheesecake, and the two boxes of cookies I brought.

I ate my apple.

After we went home, I ate one chicken strip and a lettuce salad.

I'll take my medal now and it needs to say this: "for valor in the face of a potluck - minus five pounds"

Oh, AND I avoided the breakroom today - rumor has it there were things in there called "Ho Ho bars."

No comments: