Thursday, September 2, 2010

It's Vintage

While in Chicago, I did a little shopping. I actually breezed through a mall one evenign and after frustration at Express I decided just to window shop. Then, while enjoying an evening with a friend, I wandered into a second-hand store. We have these in Iowa, and they are called Goodwill stores. I never shop there, I just donate things leftover from my garage sale. Is that different from second-hand stores in the city? Probably. Anyway, we wandered in and started glancing through the racks of clothes. I found a pink band-inspired jacket that I liked but was a tad too snug, and then spied a short quilted jacket with a fur collar. It is bisque colored and the fur is sable colored (sounds better than beige and brown, doesn't it?). I loved it and so it came home with me. Once I purchased my treasure, I wondered when on Earth I was going to wear this 1950's 3/4 sleeve jacket. Where in Algona, Iowa is it appropriate to wear such a find without looking like you are dressing for Halloween or a "murder mystery" party?

Today I decided to shuck convention and wear my jacket. I have had more compliments and comments than I can count. I got comments that I look like Jackie O, or Audrey Hepburn or like someone off the pages of a 1950s fashion magazine. All nice. Our senior physician said, "That's nice, you look nice today. Acutally, you look quite striking." That was my favorite comment, "striking." I'll take that.

I wore the jacket with my hair up, hoop earrings on, ruffled leopard print high necked shirt peeking above and below and a brown straight skirt with platform beige pumps. I love this outfit. I feel quite glamorous. I am excited to pair this jacket with jeans sometime as well. I like vintage.

No comments: